BSN Accelerated Second Degree Pathway
Currently, the Accelerated Second Degree Pathway is a 12-month curriculum for students holding a baccalaureate degree outside of nursing. The Accelerated Pathway in nursing must be completed on a full-time basis.
The Accelerated Program is a competitive program and enrollment is limited due to the number of clinical spaces available. Admission into the program is once a year (Fall term only) and all the nursing pre-requisites must be complete by the end of Mason’s Spring term (not Summer term) before the program begins (thus courses need to be complete by May 20th).
Applications for the program become available in December. The deadline for submission is January 15th. Students must also apply to Mason through the Office of Admissions. For information regarding university admission requirements, eligibility, and deadlines, please visit the Office of Admissions website. Students must submit the online undergraduate admissions application prior to submitting the BSN Departmental Application. This will ensure that students receive a G#, which is required for the BSN application. Admission into Mason does not mean applicants have been admitted into the Nursing program.
Be aware that completion of the nursing pre-requisites and meeting eligibility guidelines does not guarantee admission into the program. Admission into the nursing program is competitive. It is extremely important for all applicants to have a back-up plan. The CHHS Office of Student Affairs will send decision letters via U.S. mail by the end of April.
We recommend that all applicants review our Information Session PowerPoint presentation to learn more about important application guidelines and expectations:
BSN, Accelerated 2nd Degree Pathway information session presentation (pdf)
In addition, please refer to the the catalog for more information about our BSN program:
Accelerated Second Degree BSN Pathway catalog information
BSN Eligibility Guidelines
To be eligible to apply for the Accelerated Second Degree BSN Pathway, applicants must:
- receive admission to Mason
- have completed a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- achieve overall GPA of at least 3.0 (Calculation includes degree GPA and post-baccalaureate work only)
- achieve satisfactory GPA in the designated nursing prerequisite coursework (Successful candidate typically achieves minimum nursing prerequisite GPA of 3.0)
- achieve no less than grade of C (not C-) in each nursing pre-requisite course
- complete all nursing pre-requisites by end the of the spring term (May 20)
- complete two of the three science nursing prerequisite courses by the date of application
- submit BSN Departmental Application by stated deadline and submit all supporting documents
Supporting documents include:
- unofficial transcripts (one copy from each institution attended)
- transcript evaluations for all international transcripts (if applicable)
- essay/writing assignment
- copy of payment confirmation page from online vendor showing proof of $50.00* non-refundable BSN application fee payment
- HESI-A2 exam scores
- 3-minute video (details forthcoming)
- Letter of good standing from nursing advisor or faculty member (if previously enrolled in a nursing program)
- unofficial copy of AP/CLEP exam scores (if applicable)
- a copy of spring course registration (if applicable)
- a copy of LPN license (if applicable)
- a copy of active military ID (if applicable)
*Payable via online payment system; subject to increase
Note: A&P and Microbiology coursework cannot be more than five-years old from the time of BSN enrollment. For fall 2015 admission, courses must have been completed during or after the fall of 2010.
|Accelerated Second Degree Pathway
Please note: BSN application deadlines are separate from Mason’s general university application deadlines. For information regarding Mason’s application deadlines, please visit the Office of Admissions website.