Accelerated Master of Public Health, MPH
The master of public health (MPH) is the most widely recognized professional degree for those wishing to enter or advance in the field of public health. Mason’s MPH program provides coursework in all five core disciplines of public health – epidemiology, biostatistics, health administration, social and behavioral sciences, and environmental health – along with advanced training in one of five concentration areas: Community Health Promotion, Epidemiology, Global Health, Health Policy, or Public Health Communication.
The accelerated Master of Public Health (MPH) degree program is designed for Mason’s highly qualified and highly motivated undergraduates. It is expected that students will have a minimum 3.0 GPA in public health relevant coursework.
Benefits of the accelerated MPH program
- There is a streamlined application process with no application fee.
- Students can apply six graduate credits to their undergraduate degrees.
- Students can take an additional six graduate credits to be held for reserve graduate credit (apply only to the graduate degree).
- Students start the MPH program with up to 12 credits earned while undergraduates.
- Students admitted to accelerated MPH program complete both their undergraduate and MPH degree programs in a shorter amount of time.
When to Apply
Mason undergraduates who have completed at least 75 credits toward any bachelor’s degree at Mason and no more than 90 credits toward the degree are invited to apply. Students must have completed at least 24 credits at Mason at the time of application. Applicants to the accelerated MPH must have completed GCH 300, GCH 335 (BIO 214, PSYC 300, SOC 313 or another statistics course may be substituted on approval by the MPH graduate program coordinator), and ENGH 302 before submitting their application.
Submitting an Application
Complete the Accelerated Master of Public Health Program Application. In addition, applicants must provide a career goal statement that includes a declaration of their desired concentration within the MPH, and two letters of recommendation (one of the letters must come from a Department of' Global and Community Health faculty member). Submit the completed application and career goal statement via email to the MPH graduate program coordinator at email@example.com.
Specific Application Procedures:
- Download and complete the Accelerated Master of Public Health Program Application form (.pdf).
- Schedule a meeting with your undergraduate advisor and take along your application and an unofficial copy of your transcript printed from PatriotWeb. Discuss program eligibility requirements and select the graduate courses that will be applied to your bachelor’s degree program.
- Contact the faculty regarding recommendation letters. The faculty may send them directly to the MPH graduate program coordinator via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Write your career goal statement (explicitly stating your desired concentration).
- Submit the completed application form and career goal statement to the MPH graduate program coordinator via email (email@example.com). Please use the subject heading “Accelerated MPH Program Application.”
Accelerated Option Requirements
While undergraduates, accelerated MPH students complete two of the following courses: GCH 543, GCH 560, GCH 600, GCH 601, or GCH 645 with a minimum grade of 3.00 in each course. They must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.00 in all coursework and in coursework applied to their major (or with permission of the graduate program director). In the beginning of the semester in which the student will complete his/her undergraduate degree, the bachelor’s/accelerated master’s Transition Form (.pdf) must be submitted, and then the student is admitted to graduate status.
Point of Contact
Dr. Ali Weinstein
For general inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.