Maureen Schafer, PhD
School of Nursing
Teaching expertise includes Health Care Systems, Clinical Informatics and Research to graduate and undergraduate students. As well as prevention of Interpersonal Violence through Education: Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment.
As a Science Case Fellow funded by the National Science Case Network in 2014, Dr. Schafer's research and national conference presentations focused on Case Studies for Nursing in Research undergraduate courses. The learning outcome for the nursing student was the ability to critically assess the scientific process in the literature and then bridge those gold standards into active clinical practice.
Enterprise Level Clinical Informaticist, Family Nurse Practitioner and Military Veteran with an active Secret Security Clearance offering 15 years of experience in advanced patient care, policy development and project management services in the military. Dr. Schafer possesses a comprehensive background in deep clinical systems, expert application of the systems development life cycle and training and accountability derived from 25 years of experience in the United States Army.
- Selected In February 2014 as a New Science Case Fellow funded by the National Science Case Network. The mission of the National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science is to promote the development and dissemination of materials and practices for case teaching in the sciences.
- Invited Speaker addressing Clinical Informatics in the Primary Care Setting at the "Health Informatics & Technology Conference" (HITC-2014)
- Touted as a Health Care systems and Informatics expert, invited to be on the Grant Team for Partners for Education in Geriatrics (PEG B) in a collaborative effort to nationally educate current caregivers of older adults and prepare the next generation of healthcare providers.
- Awarded the Legion of Merit from the Army Surgeon General, Lieutenant General Patricia Horoho, The Surgeon General and Commanding General of the United States Army Medical Command.
- High-visibility worldwide Leader on the elite DOD/VA Team designing and implementing the Integrated Electronic Health Record as Program Manager, Access Control.
- PhD, Health Care Systems & Informatics, The University of Arizona, 2012
- MSN, Family Nurse Practitioner, The Catholic University of America, 1997
- BSN, St. Joseph's College, 1985