Congratulations to all students graduating this year!
Please join us as we celebrate our 2020 graduates.
The College of Health and Human Services will hold a virtual graduation for the entire Class of 2020 at 3:30 p.m. EST. on Thursday, Dec. 17.
The College will also have a webpage where you can view personalized slides for all graduates and videos (coming soon).
How to participate in the College Ceremony:
We will have brief remarks from Dean Louis and the Department Chairs, and there will be a special recognition for our doctoral graduates. Feel free to invite friends and family to join live, post messages, and celebrate with us from home.
- Doctoral graduates will receive a Zoom link via email. If you are a doctoral graduate and did not receive a Zoom link to participate, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Everyone graduating from undergraduate, master's, and certificate programs and their families and friends are invited to join the event broadcast live on Thursday, Dec. 17. on our Mason CHHS YouTube channel. (Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGw1AF0IaNc) Families and friends are encouraged to share well wishes for graduates in the comments.
Additional ways to celebrate the graduates:
- Virtual Mason graduation cap decoration: View the template for Virtual Cap Decoration (Canva free account). When you post on social media, tag #MyMasonCap and #MasonCHHS2020 and yours might even be shared on the College or University social media accounts.
- Social media: Share your photos and well wishes for the graduates on social media with the hashtag #MasonCHHS2020! Tag us at @MasonCHHS for Instagram and Twitter and @GMUCHHS for Facebook, and you might see your photos shared on the college accounts! See the link below for more ways to celebrate on social media.
- View congratulatory messages from Departments and additional ways to celebrate on the celebration of graduates page.
Graduate Slides and Graduation Videos on Marching Orders Site
Commemorative 2020 Commencement Program
2020 Spring Celebration of Graduates
Learn more about the virtual celebration for CHHS graduates here. There is not a set time for a College broadcast.
Please contact email@example.com.
2020 Spring Celebration of Graduates
We hope you'll participate in our virtual celebration, which will feature congratulatory messages, musical performances, and personalized slides for each graduate showing your name, degree, major and college. Additionally, graduates will be featured on their school or college celebration pages.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 Winter Graduation Details
EagleBank Arena (Fairfax Campus)
Thursday, December 19, 2019
No tickets required
Students eligible to participate in the December 2019 winter graduation ceremony:
- Undergraduate, Master’s and Doctoral students graduating in December 2019
- Doctoral students graduating in August 2019
Visit the university Winter Graduation website for details!
- Graduates should arrive in regalia 1 hour prior to the ceremony start time.
- Enter EagleBank Arena through the lower-level loading dock entrance and go to the floor seating area
- Remember – graduation is not automatic. Students must initiate the process. Please refer to the Registrar’s Office graduation webpages for complete instructions on how to apply to graduate, tips for a smooth degree conferral process, and critical deadlines. See the above section/link on Graduation Process for additional details.
Graduation is not automatic, and students must initiate the process. Please refer to the Registrar’s Office graduation webpages for complete instructions on how to apply to graduate, tips for a smooth degree conferral process, and critical deadlines. If you miss the deadline to file the online graduation application through Patriot Web, you must use the paper Late Graduation Application form. We cannot guarantee your name will be in program if the online graduation application deadline has passed.
All students participating in the ceremonies must wear a cap and gown. You can order your cap and gown, announcements, diploma frame, and other graduation items through the University bookstore.
All College of Health and Human Services students graduating this spring and summer are invited to apply to be the student speaker at Mason’s Spring 2020 Commencement.
- Record a 3-4-minute video of your graduation speech. Please record the video in horizontal orientation, where the video is wider than it is tall.
- Upload the 3-4 minute video to the service provider of choice (e.g. iCloud, Google Drive, OneDrive).
- Email the URL link to the video along with the written transcript of the speech to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m., Thursday, April 30, 2020. In the email please also include your full name, G#, major/degree to be earned, and indicate if you will earn your degree in May 2020 or Summer 2020. In addition to your personal information, please include a statement consenting to share your video on Mason websites and/or social media pages.
- Once preliminary selections are made, the finalists will be invited to orally present their speeches to the committee for final selection.
A committee comprised of CHHS faculty, staff and students will select one video to be included in the CHHS portion of the Celebration of Graduates website, launching May 22. The winner will be notified by May 4 via email. Videos submitted but not selected as the winner may be edited to 1-2-minute segments and posted to CHHS Youtube and/or social media pages. By submitting your video, you are giving the College permission to post.
Evaluation Criteria for Winning Video
Submissions will be judged by a panel that includes CHHS faculty, staff and students. The competition is based on the content and quality of the speech and you should consider the following when preparing your submission:
- Describe your overall growth as a student and member of the university community.
- Think about all facets of your Mason experience.
- Focus on your graduating class and your experiences together with an eye toward your future.
- Engage the graduating class and their guests as a whole.
Speeches will be recorded for inclusion in the University’s Celebration of Graduates and must adhere to the three to four-minute timeframe.
If you have questions regarding the process, please visit our CHHS graduation website or contact Maria Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have technical questions regarding submission of the video, please troubleshoot first with the platform you are using to upload your video. If you still need assistance, please contact Terri Ann Guingab at email@example.com.
While the college encourages all faculty to participate in the spring graduation festivities, due to the smaller size of the winter graduation ceremony, only a small number of representatives from CHHS are needed. If you would like to volunteer as a marshal, please contact Allison Bustria at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-993-8896. If you will be a marshal, member of the platform party, a reader, or a doctoral advisor, you will receive detailed instructions via email prior to the event.
CHHS Degree Celebration
Faculty should arrive at the Hospitality Room of the EagleBank Arena at 9:00 a.m. Light refreshments will be available. Please do not leave valuables in the Hospitality Room during the ceremony.
9:40 a.m.: The faculty marshal will direct the faculty to form a line just outside of the loading dock doors to be ready for the procession into the arena. Honorary faculty marshals (retiring faculty) will lead the faculty into the arena and assist with seating. A program will be on each seat. Faculty marshals who are assigned to assist with students should be in Parking Lot A by 9:15 a.m.
For faculty holding specific roles, you can find more information here:
The Events Management Office plans and conducts Commencement. Faculty should meet in the Johnson Center Atrium no later than 8:30 a.m. for a continental breakfast and robing. Marshals will instruct doctoral candidates and their faculty advisors on the procession line-up. Faculty at large will be instructed where to line-up for the processional. The procession across campus, led by Mason’s Fife and Drum core, will begin at 9:45 a.m.
Contact Allison Bustria at email@example.com or 703-993-8896.
School of Nursing
BSN Pinning Ceremony 2019
Wednesday, May 13th, 2020
Center for the Arts, Fairfax Campus
Parking is available for attendees – location TBD
5:00 p.m.: Graduating traditional senior nursing students arrive at the Center for the Arts for a group picture and pre-ceremony practice.
6:45 p.m.: Doors to the concert hall will open for faculty, family and friends.
7:00 p.m.: Pinning Ceremony begins.
Attire: Business attire.
Questions: Please contact one of the following officers of the Student Nurses’ Association (SNA):
Faculty contact for the SNA:
Dr. Margie Rodan